Saint Ignatius Loyola School » About Us » History


The roots of Saint Ignatius Loyola School are nearly as old as the parish itself. The zeal for Catholic education shown by Father Walter J. Quarter, who first established the parochial school in 1854, has thrived through a century and half of change. “We could not possibly house all who ought to be with us, much less all who were liable to apply as years went on.” These are the words of Patrick Joseph Dooley, S.J. who in 1906, fifty-two years after the doors first opened, recognized a growing need and helped to secure funds to build the present school building. He oversaw its construction a year later. These undertakings were the result of the combined effort and generosity of many who shared a single purpose: to create a dynamic and inclusive environment for an education that was rooted in the Catholic faith and tradition.

Our present school has been located in this building since 1906. While there were additions and updates to the facility along the way (the 6th floor was added mid-century), it was not until 2005 that a major renovation took place. The work is completed and the building you see today is the result of purposeful stewardship, all with the goal of providing an optimum learning environment.

Throughout our school's history, we have continually provided a spiritually and academically challenging, supportive program. With the combined leadership and hard work of the Sisters of Charity, the Jesuit Fathers and Brothers and the lay teachers and administrators, the school has been self-sufficient, doing its best with the resources that it has been blessed with. To ensure the future of this wonderful treasure, we will continue to come together as a faith-filled community, like those that came before us, in order to maintain the high standard of excellence that Saint Ignatius Loyola School has become synonymous with.